Monday, October 23, 2017 / by Joey Schlager
Fa la la la la, la la la la: it’s carol time again!
Whether we admit it or not, the Thanksgiving start of the holiday season is a thing of the past. Hallmark has already launched its “Countdown to Christmas;” Glen Allen mailboxes are filling with gift catalogs; store windows are only weeks away from being transformed into snow-sprayed winter wonderlands.
As far as Glen Allen real estate is concerned, a couple of the advantages to buying during the holiday season will arrive more or less simultaneously. And there are advantages.
One real estate education company, FortuneBuilders, counts five key reasons why “the holidays are a great time to buy.” In short, they are:
- 1. Limited inventory. Less activity means fewer competing buyers.
- 2. Sellers are motivated. Those who have not sold during the peak season are more likely to welcome offers.
- 3. Taxes. This depends on the particular financial situation of both Glen Allen buyers and sellers.
- 4. Lower interest rates. Historically, interest rates tend to be lower during the holidays—probably because mortgage companies need to pep up sleepy demand.
- 5. Faster closing. Although lenders, brokers, and inspectors may be thinking it’s time to take a vacation, when
businessdoes appear, they clear the decks and move!
Those reasons may seem like distant abstractions in the week before Halloween, but they are very much in play starting with the first stirrings of November….and Thanksgiving…and all the rest of the holiday onslaught! For those who will be in the market for a new Glen Allen home—in reality, they’ll be shopping in a “holiday” market environment! As the educators put it, “some of the best deals you can make during the holidays involve real estate, not 72-inch televisions.”
You don’t even have to wait until Halloween for a comprehensive look at Glen Allen’s current slate of pre-holiday deals, Call me anytime!